With summer soon upon us, it’s time for relaxing vacations and sunny beaches. But while you’re packing your new swimsuit and favorite sunglasses don’t forget about protecting your new ring. A recent survey conducted by Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company, provider of Perfect Circle® Jewelry Insurance, found that over one-quarter of people surveyed had lost a piece of jewelry while vacationing.
The survey of 600 married women in the United States found that almost two-thirds of people bring or wear valuable jewelry while on vacation. “Jewelry is part of who you are, it’s part of your personality. You want to wear it while traveling, not leave it behind,” says Patrick Drummond, vice president of Sales and Marketing with Jewelers Mutual. The most common place people left their jewelry was in the room safe, which is the best option next to wearing it. But almost one-quarter of people left pieces of jewelry in their luggage, which is not advisable.
It’s perfectly fine to bring your jewelry on vacation if you take these precautions provided by your travel-savvy friends at Jewelers Mutual, your jewelry insurance experts:
- Choose wisely. Pack light and take only the jewelry you’ll wear while traveling and at your destination. The 4-carat diamond ring you save for special occasions? Probably not. The pearls that go with everything? Definitely.
- Make a list of the jewelry you’ll take with you. Make two copies. Take one with you and store it separately from your jewelry. Leave the other at home. Also helpful: take pictures or a video of your jewelry.
- Carry it on. Never put jewelry in checked bags. Stow it in your carry-on bag or wear it, taking extra care by slipping a pendant inside a sweater or turning your ring so only the band shows.
- Keep it with you in a favorite bag you’ll carry while traveling. When checking into your hotel or condo, don’t hand your jewelry bag to hotel staff. Carry it personally.
- Use the safe. Always store jewelry in the in-room safe when you’re not wearing it.
- Insure it right. Jewelers Mutual provides comprehensive coverage against loss, damage, theft and mysterious disappearance* wherever your travels take you, worldwide. So get the right insurance. Then relax and have fun.
For more travel tips or information on jewelry insurance visit PerfectCircleInsurance.com
* Coverage is subject to the provisions, limitations, exclusions and endorsements in the policy and the level of coverage you select.