- The Bride's Guide : Martha Stewart Weddings - http://thebridesguide.marthastewartweddings.com -
DIY Wedding Hair: Cascade Braids
Posted By admin On September 8, 2011 @ 4:00 pm In Fashion & Beauty,Inspiration,Trend Alert | 4 Comments
They marched down the fall runways, they've been spotted on the street, and now we are in love with loose, romantic braids  as a wedding-day look. So I asked Erin Anderson, artistic director of one of NYC's coolest salons Woodley & Bunny , to teach us how to recreate the latest hairstyle—known as cascade or waterfall braids—at home. Read the how-to after the jump.
Above, left: "Partial French Braid with Cascading Hair a.k.a. Waterfall Braid" by Maegan Tintari of Love Maegan . Above, right: Stylist Odile Gilbert created this braid for Aveda. (Photo by Jon Gurinksy)
Cascade Braid How-To
1. Apply 4 to 6 pumps of shine or smoothing serum to towel-dried hair. (Anderson is partial to Sachajuan Shine Serum.)
2. Liberally spritz sea spray (like Sachajuan Ocean Mist) all over and use hands to distribute evenly through the hair.
3. Rough up dry hair with blow dryer on a low power setting to get a more natural look without creating too much frizz.
4. Part hair down the middle, side, or at your natural part. Gather a small 2-inch section from behind the top of your ear. Separate into 3 strands and begin braiding. Tip: Use medium tension when braiding. If it’s too loose, it will fall out, and if it's too tight, it changes the look.
5. After a couple of weaves, drop a strand and pick up a new piece of hair that draws the braid down and across the back of your head. Repeat until you've moved across the back the head, then end with a traditional braid (one that doesn't pick up new strands of hair) and secure with an elastic.
6. To set the braid, use a light holding hairspray. To amp up the texture and drama, Anderson suggests using Sachajuan Volume Powder.
Article printed from The Bride's Guide : Martha Stewart Weddings: http://thebridesguide.marthastewartweddings.com
URL to article: http://thebridesguide.marthastewartweddings.com/2011/09/diy-wedding-hair-cascade-braids.html
URLs in this post:
 we are in love with loose, romantic braids: http://thebridesguide.marthastewartweddings.com/2011/08/beauty-are-braids-your-bridal-style.html
 Woodley & Bunny: http://woodleyandbunny.com/
 Image: http://thebridesguide.marthastewartweddings.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/waterfall-braid-large-msg-131385183818.jpg
 Image: http://thebridesguide.marthastewartweddings.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/braid2.png
 "Partial French Braid with Cascading Hair a.k.a. Waterfall Braid" by Maegan Tintari of Love Maegan: http://www.lovemaegan.com/2011/05/partial-french-braid-cascading-hair.html
 Click here for more beautiful DIY wedding updos: http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/photogallery/diy-wedding-updos
Copyright © 2010 The Bride's Guide : Martha Stewart Weddings. All rights reserved.